Would you like to receive a daily Scripture verse of encouragement from Pastor Hurmon as we journey through this season of prayer and fasting? Sign up below.
The Bible teaches us that there is power in uniting prayer and fasting.
Join us in 40 days of prayer and fasting as a means of seeking God and entering into a deeper practice of prayer leading up to Easter.
Biblical examples of fasting:
- Moses fasted before he received the 10 Commandments (Exodus 34:28).
- God’s people fasted when they were under attack from their enemies (2 Chronicles 20:3).
- David fasted in mourning and repentance (2 Samuel 12:16).
- God’s people fasted when Esther went before the king to win their deliverance (Esther 4:16).
- Daniel fasted and prayed for God‘s mercy on the Nation (Daniel 9:3).
- The early church fasted to receive direction in their decisions (Acts 13:2-3).
- The apostle Paul fasted when appointing leaders for the church (Acts 14:23).
- Jesus fasted in preparation for his public ministry (Matt 4:1-2)
“When we unite in prayer and fasting we can expect God to be revealed to us through provision, direction, favor and deliverance.” Pastor Rick Warren
Some purposes for a season of prayer and fasting (creating space for God):
- To prepare for a new season (career, marriage, parenting, moving, etc.)
- To receive direction
- To find strength in the midst of struggle, grief, repentance
- To invite & plead with God for intervention and breakthrough
How to cultivate a #SacredMoment with God each day:
- Keep it simple. If you don't have an established time you spend with God each day, even setting aside 5 minutes can make a huge difference!
- Read a Scripture passage. Sign up via the button below if you'd like us to email you a daily passage!
- Reflect on the passage and ask yourself: Does this convey a message from me to God or from God to me? (or both!)
- Capture the insights in 1-2 sentences (in a journal, on your phone, etc.).
- Spend time in prayer with God about these insights.